- Offices and Departments
- General Assistance
- Additional Information
Story County General Assistance in conjunction with Good Neighbor Emergency Assistance and The Salvation Army, is providing a Centralized Intake process for rent and utility assistance for Story County Residents. Applications for rent and utility assistance can be made at Story County General Assistance, one application, one location for assistance from multiple agencies. Service Coordination is also available to assist interested applicants in connecting to other resources, services, and supports.
- Burial Assistance
- Other basic needs on a case-by-case basis
Applications for Rent and Utility Assistance
Applications for rent and utility assistance are taken in our office on a walk-in basis between 8:30am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday.
- Rent, Utility and Housing Assistance Resources (PDF)
- Story County Food Pantries and Programs (PDF)
- Español - Story County Despensas y programas de comida (PDF)
- English Language Learner Programming- Winter/Spring 2023 (PDF)
Ways to Find Housing
Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa has a store at 3504 Grand Ave. in Ames, and they take donations of building materials, tools, furniture, and appliances. They are open every week on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 9am to 3pm and Thursday from 10am to 6pm. The store is open to the public; all proceeds from sales go towards providing affordable housing. If you have questions about donations, sales, or volunteering, call the store at 515-232-2335.
NACo Prescription Drug Discount Program
These cards may be used by all county residents, regardless of age, income, or existing health coverage. The program is designed to help residents who have no prescription drug insurance coverage or have certain needed medications that are not covered. A national network of more than 54,000 retail pharmacies will honor the NACo prescription discount card. The cards and more information are available in the Community Services office.
Websites to use to apply for affordable healthcare coverage
- www.healthcare.gov or 1-800-318-2596 (includes Iowa Health and Wellness Plan and insurance exchange options)
- https://dhsservices.iowa.gov/apspssp/ssp.portal (this is a DHS web portal and is only for the Iowa Health and Wellness Plan and Marketplace Choice options)
Follow us on