Board of Review
The Story County Board of Review is a 3-member citizen board appointed by the Story County Conference Board which is composed of individuals from various areas of the county who are familiar with the local real estate market; construction materials, techniques, and cost; or has an agricultural background.
The board of review reviews all petitions and has the power to confirm or to adjust upward or downward any assessment. The Board operates independently of the Assessor's office.
The local board of review may be composed of either three or five members who are familiar with local market conditions and trends. As nearly as possible, the board shall include:
- one licensed real estate broker
- one registered architect or person with experience in the building and construction field.
- In the case of a county, at least one member of the board of review shall be a farmer.
- Not more than two members of the board of review shall be of the same profession or occupation and members must be residents of the jurisdiction.
The terms of the board of review members shall be for six years and shall be staggered.
Current Board Membership:
- Jon Lowman
- Edgar Christian
- Marian Olive
Sessions of Board of Review
- The board of review shall be in session from May 1 through the period of time necessary to act on all protest filed under section 441.37 but not later than May 31 each year and for an additional period as required under section 441.37 and shall hold as may meetings as are necessary to discharge its duties.
Protesting to the Board of Review
Any property owner or aggrieved taxpayer who is dissatisfied with the property assessment may file a protest against such assessment with the Board of Review on or after April 2nd, to and including April 30, of the year of the assessment. Said protest shall be in writing and signed by the one protesting or by the protester's duly authorized agent. The taxpayer may have an oral hearing thereon if request therefore in writing is made at the time of the filing the protest.