How do I apply for a lost or replacement title?

Complete form Application for Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Form 411033). The application must be signed by all owners. If there is an open lien on the vehicle, the application will need to be signed by the lien holder.

If there is an open lien on the title, but the lien holder does not have an interest in the vehicle any longer, they may complete a separate notarized Cancellation of Security Interest (Form 411168). A letter from the security interest holder on their letterhead paper is acceptable if it has the following information: make, year, VIN, owners name(s) and address, and the letter must be notarized.

Once the application is received either in person or by mail there is a mandatory 5-day waiting period before the replacement title is issued. The fee for a replacement title is $25.00.

Show All Answers

1. How long do I have to transfer a vehicle?
2. What happens if I don't transfer a vehicle within 30 days?
3. Where do I place my new registration sticker?
4. When will I be issued the NEW Regular County Plate design?
5. What does the name connector "and", "or" mean on the face of my vehicle title as it relates to selling my vehicle?
6. Where is the title to my small trailer?
7. How do I apply for a lost or replacement title?
8. What forms of payment are accepted?
9. Does Story County provide Iowa DOT Driver's License services?
10. How do I put my vehicle/plates in legal storage? What is legal storage?
11. When can I renew my plates?