How do I put my vehicle/plates in legal storage? What is legal storage?

In order to store the vehicle/plates legally, the vehicle must currently be registered. The plates and the current registration need to be surrendered at the County Treasurer’s Office so that the State Motor Vehicle System can be updated and the registration stamped "STORED". Once the plates have been surrendered and registration marked you will not be required to pay the yearly registration fees. This also means the vehicle cannot be driven on the roadway at any point. Storage of a vehicle for less than 13 months is not suggested as one full year registration is paid no matter how long the vehicle has been stored.  

To pull the vehicle out of Storage you will need to stop in your county treasurer's office and one full year registration fee will be collected. New plates and registration will be issued at the time of payment.

Storage of a vehicle does not work for driver's license reinstatement programs.

Show All Answers

1. How long do I have to transfer a vehicle?
2. What happens if I don't transfer a vehicle within 30 days?
3. Where do I place my new registration sticker?
4. When will I be issued the NEW Regular County Plate design?
5. What does the name connector "and", "or" mean on the face of my vehicle title as it relates to selling my vehicle?
6. Where is the title to my small trailer?
7. How do I apply for a lost or replacement title?
8. What forms of payment are accepted?
9. Does Story County provide Iowa DOT Driver's License services?
10. How does the State of Iowa determine the amount of my registration fees?
11. How do I put my vehicle/plates in legal storage? What is legal storage?
12. When can I renew my plates?