Story County Veterans Assistance
County Assistance Available
The Commission of Veterans Affairs provides assistance to Story County Veterans and/or their family members who were discharged under Honorable Conditions. Veterans need to have served 90 consecutive days of active Federal service, not counting training.
The Story County Veterans Assistance Programs are funded by Story County along with an annual appropriation of $10,000 per year from our state legislators. Help with the following needs is available, subject to eligibility guidelines:
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Food and provisions
- Medical, dental, and vision care assistance
- Prescription medication
- Funeral services
- Grave markers
Story County Relocation Assistance Program
As part of the Home Base Iowa initiative, Story County has established the Welcome Home to Story County Relocation Assistance Program. Each Veteran is eligible for a one-time maximum grant up to $2,500 to assist with relocation purposes. These funds are paid on a reimbursable basis.
View more information, including how to request application forms (PDF).
Assistance with Federal Benefits and Other Veterans Aid
The Veterans Affairs department also provides assistance to ALL Veterans and/or their family members in applying for federal benefits and other Veterans aid, which include but are not limited to:
- Service connected disability compensation
- Special monthly compensation
- Non-service connected pension
- Surviving spouse pension
- Aid & attendance/housebound
- Military records upgrade and military records replacement
- Agent Orange/PTSD/Desert Storm Sickness/Type II Diabetes/Hep C
- Application for VA HealthCare System
- Application for admission to the Iowa Veterans Home
- All other federal programs for which veterans and/or dependents may be eligible
To receive assistance with any of the above or any other questions regarding veterans affairs, please contact the Story County Veterans Affairs Director Brett McLain at 956-2626 to set up an appointment.
Medical Care at the VA Medical Center in Des Moines
For those who wish to register with the VA Medical Center in Des Moines, please choose one of the following three options:
- Obtain the forms on the VA website
- Call the VA Medical Center at 1-800-294-8387 to request the forms
- Contact the Story County VA Director Brett McLain at 956-2626 to obtain the forms
Follow us on