Military Records

Military Records

The Recorder's Office has, on permanent record, military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans themselves.

Military Records are closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa 331.608(6). In order to obtain records, veterans or an entitled family member (entitled family members include spouse, widow or widower, children, parents, or siblings of the veteran) will need to provide one or more of the following:

  • Photo ID
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Authorized Waiver/Power of Attorney

To obtain a copy you can stop in our office or mail in a Military Record Application (PDF). There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

If you have any questions or would like to see if we have a copy of your records in our office, call 515-382-7230.

Having trouble locating your record?

Iowa Veterans may check with the County Recorder in the county of their residence at the time of their discharge to see if they possibly recorded their DD-214 in that county.

2 other options for finding your records:

Story County Veteran's Affairs
126 S. Kellogg Ave. Suite 001
Ames, IA 50010

(515) 956-2626

For all Military records not recorded in Story County, you may request a copy from the National Personal Records Center (PDF) by mailing or faxing the Standard Form (SF) 180 (PDF).

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Fax: (314) 801-9195

Military Tax Exemption Information is available in the Story County Assessor's Office.