Animal Bites

By law, all animal bites must be reported. To find out more about who to contact when an animal bite takes place, refer to the appropriate listings below for your area.

For Rabies information visit the Iowa Department of Public Health web site.

The Story County Health Department refers all stray or wild animal concerns to the appropriate animal control authority. We have compiled a list of animal control authorities within Story County for your convenience. Please direct your calls regarding animal concerns to the appropriate phone number as listed below.

City Jurisdictions

  • City of Ames (515) 239-5530 Ames Animal Shelter Web Page
  • City of Nevada (515) 382-4593
  • City of Story City (515) 733-4305
  • City of Huxley (515) 597-2002

Rural Story County Call Story County Animal Control at (515) 382-3338.

(All outlying areas which include the following towns)

  • Cambridge
  • Collins
  • Colo
  • Gilbert
  • Kelly
  • Maxwell
  • McCallsburg
  • Roland
  • Sheldahl
  • Slater
  • Zearing